I Love Reading
I love books. I own a lot of books. For the curious, I am cataloguing them on Good Reads - so far I have catalogued over 630 books. Good Reads is a great service and I really like their api integration. Plus the iOS app is great - I can scan the barcodes of my books and easily add them to my collections.
One of the reasons I have so many books is for my kids. I love surprising my kids with new finds I have plucked from my shelves. Over the years I have searched out and acquired many of my favourite books I read as a child. Of course, we have a great selection of lego books. My favourites are by Sean Kenney.
My favorite place to find books is Goodwill and other second hand stores. I visited the Goodwill annual book sale many times finding treasures such as Allen and Greenough's New Latin Grammar from 1903. I have visited the strand in New York and bought so many books I could barely close my suitcases.
In addition to kids books, I have a nice collection of books on 17th century England. My favorite books are those that discuss nature. I really enjoy the work by Michael Pollan. I recently discovered books by Diana Beresford-Kroeger; her ideas for bioplanning and creating ecologically valuable gardens are fascinating and worth reading.
Making Web sites involves learning everything from usability to information architecture to design & aesthetics to Web standards.
Here are some notes I made when reading the following books.
- CSS3: Pushing the Limits added Jul 03, 17
- Work for Money, Design for Love added Jul 03, 17
- Accidental Creative added Jun 05, 17
- Letting Go of the Words added May 09, 17
- Designing Web Interfaces added May 03, 17
- Responsive Web Design added Jan 26, 17
- Complete E-Commerce Book added Jan 26, 17
- Developing Large Web Applications added Nov 30, 16
- Flexible Web Design added Apr 03, 16
- Deliver First Class Web sites added Dec 11, 15
- Defensive Design for the Web added Nov 16, 15
- Responsive Web Design with HTML and CSS3 added Nov 04, 15
- Official Ubuntu Book added Oct 29, 15
- PHP Refactoring added Oct 28, 15
- Art of Readable Code added Oct 28, 15
- Simple and Usable Web, Mobile and Interaction Design added Oct 22, 15
- Extending Bootstrap added Oct 21, 15
- Beginning PHP6, Apache, MySQL Web Development added Oct 21, 15
- Web site Usability added Oct 01, 15
- Web Word Wizardy added Sep 24, 15
- Rules of Thumb added Sep 24, 15
- Elements of User Experience added Sep 24, 15
- Back to the User: Creating User-Focused Web Sites added Sep 24, 15
- Securing PHP Web Applications added Sep 24, 15
- Art of Non-Conformity added Sep 24, 15
- Core PHP Programming added Sep 24, 15
- PHP6 and MySQL Bible added Sep 24, 15
- jQuery Pocket Reference added Sep 24, 15
- Designing with Progressive Enhancement added Sep 24, 15
- Economics of Software Quality added Sep 24, 15
- Flexible Web Layouts added Sep 24, 15
- PHP5 CMS Framework Development added Sep 24, 15
- Submit Now: Designing Persuasive Web sites added Sep 24, 15
- Eat That Frog added Sep 15, 15
- Smart Organizing added Sep 05, 15
- Designing Web sites that Work: Usability for the Web added Sep 04, 15